Atkins Shoot Tool - a photographers' tool
Atkins has developed it's own software; Shoot Tool, to assist photographers in taking orders at events and organising naming on group photos. The software runs on an iPad, and can customised for each application.
The software has been used successfully in these situations:
- School photography
- Santa photos
- Photo Booths at conferences
Shoot Tool will save you hours of post processing and entering of orders. We customise the application for your need including your branding, the packages you want printed etc. The workflow might look like this:
The software is used to organise the order of people in group photos and siblings and individuals and manage the orders made for photos and communicate that and the chosen images to production. The software will produce a the group photo layouts with logos etc allowing for customised pre-arranged designs. It runs on the midsized iPad which you’d need to supply.
The forward was developed by Paul Atkins and it continually being updated. Paul is not a professional software developer, but it has been used for many years now by several photographers successfully in small to midsize schools and teams and recently, a large private school has been photographed using it running in four separate shoot booths and four ipads.
The intention of the design is to make the back end mess of group photography easy for operators.
This is the workflow roughly explained:
- The photographer and Atkins agree on packages and designs of layouts and pricing etc.
- Each group/team/school may need new designs. that is fine, we have a new layout fee.
- Within a few days of the shoot you provide us with a spreadsheet formatted with the relevant data in the columns we need them in. The accuracy of the data is pretty critical, it can be edited after, but clean in is clean out.
- We provide the data file back in the software
- You enter orders pre or post shoot
- You sync the software counter with your camera counter.
- You use the application by finding the particular group in the software, set up the group of people in front of you to look visually appealing, then either before you shoot, or using an assistant during the shoot or using a jpeg after the shoot you tap on the names that go in back middle and front row (or whatever) to set the order.
- You tap on the counter button to record as you go how many frames were taken on each set up.
- During the day you can edit the data if needed, take notes etc
- Post shoot you choose the jpegs using whatever software you use.
- You use our software to mark which jpeg number is the chosen one for whatever photo. This is a critical step, jpeg number must match in software to jpeg files for it all to work.
- You make any changes to the data/orders/whatever
- You hit the transmit button in the software, you then also send in the jpegs via ftp/dropbox/whatever
- We put the data on a server for you to continue tweaking as needed remotely, and when you are content it is all as accurate as possible, you let us know.
- We sync it all up, do final colour corrections, send group proofs as jpegs for checking
- With the ok, we print the orders as agreed
- Pack to whatever level you wish us to, from individual bags with labels per order to piles of photos in order (with back printing), or even post directly to the end client.
- Rinse and repeat.
Shoot Tool is free for events where the more than $500 worth of prints will be printed from the event. For smaller events, an fee will be apply.
To enquire, click here.